With a graduate certificate in advanced study in reading from the Mount, you will be prepared to lead your school’s literacy initiatives as a literacy specialist or coach. A combination of nationally recognized coursework, on-site teaching experience and research will provide you with the skills and knowledge to meet the needs of linguistically diverse and neurodiverse learners.
Graduates of the program are eligible for certification as a reading specialist, K-12, from the Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE).
The Mount’s program includes:
- Emphasis on planning for culturally and linguistically diverse and neurodiverse students
- Six (6) courses and a practicum (24 credits total) that can be completed on a part-time basis
- Classes designed for working adults. Attend evening classes at campuses in Frederick and Emmitsburg. Some classes may also be available online or in hybrid format to reduce travel time.
- National recognition by the International Literacy Association
- Accredited by National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE)