With a graduate certificate in advanced study in reading from the Mount, you will be prepared to lead your school’s literacy initiatives. A combination of nationally recognized coursework, on-site teaching experience and research will provide you with the skills and knowledge to meet the needs of diverse learners.
Graduates of the program are eligible for certification as a reading specialist, K-12, from the Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE).
The Mount’s program includes:
- Emphasis on planning for culturally and linguistically diverse students
- 8 courses and a practicum (30 credits total) that can be completed on a part-time basis
- Classes designed for working adults. Attend year-round evening classes at campuses in Frederick and Emmitsburg. Some classes may also be available online or in hybrid format to reduce travel time.
- National recognition by the International Literacy Association
- Accredited by National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE)